ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Opposition to proposed ".xxx" domain

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Opposition to proposed ".xxx" domain
  • From: "Nicole Lee" <bfleemail-nicole@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:35:10 -0500

To Officials at ICANN:

Thank you for accepting public comments on the proposal for an ".xxx"
domain.

I am writing to register my opposition to the creation of an ".xxx" domain
name for pornographic websites.  The reasons for my objection are very much
like the objections I am certain you have already heard...

Your proposal is unenforceable.  It presumes that pornographers are people
of good character & integrity who will be considerate of others' well-being
and will "follow the rules".  There is no possibility of that.

Your proposal does not ensure, nor can it, that pornographers will remove
their existing ".com" websites and move themselves to the ".xxx" domain.  In
fact, your creation of this new domain would likely DOUBLE the number of
pornographic sites since pornographers will populate the ".xxx" domain AND
keep their existing ".com" sites.  Why wouldn't they?  They stand to double
their audience exposure.

I also object to the legitimization of pornography.  Current domains
represent areas that add value to a healthy society, including ".net",
".gov", ".edu", ".us".  To add pornography to that list is to put
destructive, vile & exploitative material on the same level.

Pornography should not be legitimized in any way.  We don't need MORE
pornography-we need to get rid of the trash we already have.

I strongly urge you to reject the proposal for creation of an ".xxx" domain.
Unless it could be enforced, it will only bring much more harm than good.

Nicole S. Lee
3883 Cottage Grove Ct.
Saginaw, MI  48604