ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Opposition of .XXX

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Opposition of .XXX
  • From: "Sean Turner" <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 23:08:50 -0800

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing today to express my opposition to the .xxx TLD that is
currently under consideration.  I write to you as a webmaster, web
surfer, and supporter of free speech.  The inclusion of a .xxx TLD will
threaten to hurt the current structure of the web and ultimately begin
down a steep slope to censorship.

It's fairly obvious that the motives for this TLD is strictly financial,
and the only ones who support it are those who have a vested financial
interest in it.  There is no one behind this act that really cares about
child safety, and the ultimate effect could make the web more dangerous
by opening up a playground of sorts for adult material that would be
enticing to children.

But the opening of the door to censorship is what concerns me most.  If
we start labeling the adult industry, where does it stop?  Do religious
sites start being labeled so that countries may block out ones they
don't like?  Will social networking sites be thrown on a new TLD so that
they can't be accessed in certain parts of the world?  How about
throwing every violent site on its own TLD as well?  It would be unfair
to label one industry, and not the others, especially considering the
fact that others are responsible for much more safety issues to children
than pornography.

So I ask that you keep our children safe and our web free of censorship.
I thoroughly oppose .xxx as a webmaster, surfer, and citizen of a
country that respects free speech.  I thank you for your time and hope
that you come to a decision that helps the entire internet, and not just
a few people looking to make a quick buck.

Regards,

Sean Turner

Co-Founder and Owner

DottedOnline, LLC