ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Comment on new domain

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comment on new domain
  • From: Robert Kraay <info@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:00:25 -0500

Dear Sirs,

I am a regular American citizen who is maintaining a marriage and raising a family. I have been made aware that you are still accepting comments on the proposed .xxx domain.

Please note my concern about the proposal. There are at least four problems I see with it.

First, pornographers will not be required to use the domain.

Second, tech-savvy kids will be able to circumvent the domain.

Third, to some extent the “XXX” domain will result in the “de facto” legalization of obscenity.

And fourth, the “XXX” domain will not protect society from hardcore pornography. As the Supreme Court observed in a 1973 obscenity case (Paris Adult Theatre I v. Slaton), there are “legitimate governmental interests at stake in stemming the tide of obscene materials, even assuming it is feasible to enforce effective safeguards against exposure to juveniles,” which include maintaining “a decent society” and protecting “public safety,” “family life,” “the quality of life,” “the total community environment,” and “morality.”

I would sincerely appreciate if you would not bring into my environment an additional obstacle to the significant task I already have of leading and raising a moral, decent, and positively contributing family for our society.

Thank you.

Dr. Robert Kraay
230 Fifth Ave. NE
Hickory, NC 28601