ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Please Decline the .xxx Domain

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Please Decline the .xxx Domain
  • From: Bill Ennis <Bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 12:00:51 -0800

As the father of a 7 year old boy, I am appalled to hear you're rethinking the idea of allowing the porn industry to self-regulate, and to "voluntarily" choose this domain suffix. All this does is allow the industry to expand its reach, and make it easier for kids to find these sites. The term "xxx" is in our vernacular. It's found regularly in the media - not just in adult industry advertising, but the term can be heard on daytime talk shows, episodic television, in movies and even in our news casts. Kids that don't know what "xxx" means, soon will. And allowing them to find these sites that are now buried at .com, .us., etc. at .xxx IN ADDITION, is just making the porn industry's job easier.

The true value of using this domain would be to LIMIT the porn industry's use of the internet to this domain, and prohibiting their use of other domain suffixes. By doing so, conventional SPAM blockers and child-friendly browsers could automatically prevent minors from finding these sites.

Don't add to the problem. Either prevent the use of this name, or work to create regulations that require porn sites to use it - and no other!

Bill Ennis Media Magic Video Production Services for Business www.MediaMagic.TV