ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

"No" once more and forever to Dot-XXX

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: "No" once more and forever to Dot-XXX
  • From: "Weiss, Daniel" <daniel.weiss@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:03:36 -0700

Dear ICANN Board,

Thank you for allowing an additional public comment period. To my
knowledge, neither Appendix S nor any other component of ICM's proposal
addresses the substantive concerns of thousands, if not millions of
people worldwide.

Pornography use has been linked to higher rates of divorce, addiction,
child exploitation, and global sex trafficking. It is unlikely any of
the other TLDs had public health risks attached to them. Given the
nature of material in question here, I believe ICANN must use a greater
level of scrutiny with DOT-XXX than with DOT-BIZ.

I was disheartened to see in the last meeting notes that only the
concerns of the porn industry seem to be taken into account by the
Board. The fact that ICANN received 200,000 emails from concerned
citizens cannot be ignored simply because they were effectively
organized by a pro-family group. Truly, there are substantive concerns
that must be taken into account here. Also, the sex industry is not the
only group that will be affected by the creation of a DOT-XXX domain.

The organization I work for receives hundreds of thousands of emails,
letters and phone calls each year detailing family breakups, porn
addictions among spouses and children, and even letters from wives who
are forced by their husbands to act out what appears in porn films.
These contacts are not lighthearted and fun, as the porn industry would
like to suggest. All are accompanied by extreme agony and heartache.

ICM President Stuart Lawley intends to give some portion of his $60
registration fee back to the porn industry under the guise of protecting
children. He has also said in an interview he hopes to educate teens and
children about the DOT-XXX. I don't think telling kids all about a new
porn domain is responsible in the least.

It  is currently illegal to sell or distribute hardcore pornography
online in the United States. I find it difficult to believe ICANN would
vote to establish a TLD dedicated to facilitate the global transport of
harmful and illegal material. Will you also enter into negotiations with
global drug lords to establish a DOT-DRUGS TLD?

Please, reconsider this proposal and see it for what it is: a very bad
idea that will harm millions of people worldwide.

Sincerely,

Daniel Weiss