ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Stop ICM's plan for .XXX top-level domain naming

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Stop ICM's plan for .XXX top-level domain naming
  • From: getstuff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:03:47 -0500 (EST)

<HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.3059" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=geneva,arial,sans-serif>Dear ICANN: I am in the adult
entertainment industry and I oppose .XXX. I'm a web producer and own an e-zine
for gay and bi men called BLULIFE.COM. We fear the .xxx primarily out of
censorship from the religious right who have grown very powerful here in the
USA. We fear that articles and safe sex information that we pass out to gay and
bi men worldwide will be in danger of censorship if we are put in the .xxx
ghetto. This will be costly to us because we also plan to launch other fan
sites for our individual models. <BR><BR>We also do not want this to happen for
the following reasons:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<UL>
<LI><FONT face=geneva,arial,sans-serif>It "ghettoizes" the industry, making
adult entertainment an easy target for anti-industry extremists and government
intrusion.</FONT></LI>
<LI><FONT face=geneva,arial,sans-serif>It will add, unnecessarily, to the cost
of doing business. At $60 per URL per year, the cost to a member could reach
tens of thousands of dollars annually. Many in the adult entertainment industry
will purchase and park addresses, realizing no benefit to this added expense.
Finally, there will be countless battles for names, and the resulting
arbitration will be costly.</FONT></LI>
<LI><FONT face=geneva,arial,sans-serif>If a .XXX domain becomes available, it
is likely that the United States and other countries will try to make it
mandatory and subject to trans-Internet filtering that could effectively
eliminate much of the adult content currently available on the Web.</FONT></LI>
<LI><FONT face=geneva,arial,sans-serif>The .XXX option could enable the
industry's enemies to convert even a voluntary .XXX domain use into an
effectively mandatory requirement by pressuring private parties, such as credit
card processors, to require .XXX use and compliance. In this way, ICM through
unchecked rule-making could "back door" all the governmental regulations that
we have beaten back. If that happens the industry would not have its most
potent weapon, the First Amendment to challenge ICM because ICM is not a
governmental entity.</FONT></LI>
<LI><FONT face=geneva,arial,sans-serif>The ambiguity with which ICM plans to
establish its governing board is of grave concern as there exists strong
potential for censorship, which is clearly not in the best interest of the
industry or for ICANN. </FONT></LI></UL><FONT face=geneva,arial,sans-serif>
<P>I urge you at your next meeting not to make this happen for both those
paying consenting adults who wish to view our entertainment and news and also
free enterprise.</P>
<P>Thanks for your time.</P>
<P>Clark David<BR>Publisher of BLULIFE.COM<BR></P></FONT>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff
2px solid">&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY>