ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-revised-icm-agreement]

Please reject the ill-defined .XXX sTLD proposal

  • To: xxx-revised-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Please reject the ill-defined .XXX sTLD proposal
  • From: quentinb@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 09:14:18 -0700 (MST)

To Whom It May Concern:

I renew my objection to the .XXX sTLD proposal from ICM Registry, and strongly
urge ICANN to reject the proposal, once and for all. Failing a full and final
rejection, I believe it is incumbent upon ICANN to require ICM to provide a
more reasonable definition of the “Sponsored Community” with respect to this
proposed sTLD, and for ICANN to establish solid, objective measures by which
applicants can demonstrate that they have the support of any given Sponsored
Community for future sTLD proposals.

Among my many reasons for opposing ICM’s proposal is the absurdly circular
definition of “Sponsored Community” provided in Appendix S of the Registry
Agreement. Quoting from that definition in pertinent part, it states that the
sTLD “will serve individuals, business, entities, and organizations that: (i)
have determined that a system of self-identification would be beneficial, and
(ii) have voluntarily agreed to comply with all International Foundation for
Online Responsibility (“IFFOR”) Policies and Best Practices Guidelines, as
published from time to time on the IFFOR web site.”

Setting aside for the moment that the “Policies and Best Practices” referenced
in the definition do not exist (opening the question of precisely how one goes
about ‘agreeing’ to policies and best practices that have not been stated),
this definition is a transparent end-run around the fact that ICM’s proposal
has never enjoyed the level of support from members of the global adult
entertainment industry that ICM’s representatives have previously asserted.

By redefining the sponsoring community such that it consists only of those
individuals who already approve of the sTLD despite the complete lack of
specifics concerning its eventual nature, ICM seeks to dismiss and render moot
the opinions of those within the adult entertainment industry who oppose the
measure. The fundamental flaw in the underpinning reasoning of this new
definition of the Sponsored Community is that ALL adult industry stakeholders
will be affected by the establishment of the .XXX sTLD, not just those who
approve of the measure.

I appreciate the difficulty of ICANN’s position in evaluating this proposal, as
I’m fairly certain that ICANN has never been asked to consider another sTLD
over which there was such deep-seated disagreement within the industry that the
sTLD in question pertained to. For example, I’m fairly certain that when .mobi
was proposed, ICANN did not receive hundreds of complaints and strong
objections from distributors of mobile content and others with a potential
stake in the fate of .mobi.

I can also understand why ICM has pushed so hard for the adoption of this
proposal, as the company has no doubt invested a great deal of time and money
in this effort – and obviously stands to make a great deal more money in return
on that investment, should the proposal move forward.

What I cannot fathom, however, is why ICANN should accept as valid a definition
of the Sponsored Community offered by ICM that amounts to “that portion of the
affected business community which agrees with us, whatever the size of that
portion.” Such a definition is so profoundly meaningless it would be quite
humorous to me, were I not convinced that the sTLD it would facilitate has
potentially disastrous implications for our industry.

I’m well aware of the fact that ICM considers the question of whether it has
the support of adult industry stakeholders to be a closed issue, and I
sympathize with ICANN’s desire to put a stop to the seemingly endless
consideration and reconsideration of this proposed sTLD. If the operative
definition of the Sponsored Community for .XXX is to be the one in the current
draft of Appendix S of the Registry Agreement, however, ICANN ought to at least
require ICM to define the “Policies and Best Practices” that the Sponsored
Community has (by ICM’s own definition) apparently already “agreed” to.

ICANN should also establish objective criteria for demonstrating the support of
the affected business sector at issue in any sTLD proposal. While I doubt that
ICANN will ever encounter another sTLD that is as controversial within the
relevant industry as .XXX has been, setting clear criteria for what constitutes
enough support from the industry at issue could go a long way toward
forestalling years-long debates over whether a future sTLD applicant has
demonstrated sufficient support from its sponsoring community/business sector.

Should the proposed Registry Agreement go forward as written, in my opinion it
will represent nothing less than the ICANN board ignoring the community that
properly represents the ‘s’ in the proposed .XXX sTLD. Accepting the Agreement
with its current definitions and verbiage serves the interest of no one save
ICM and the third-party registrars who stand to profit from selling the domains.

Quentin Boyer
Director of Public Relations
Pink Visual
www.pinkvisual.com