ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-revised-icm-agreement]

Warning - Fake forged e-mails

  • To: xxx-revised-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Warning - Fake forged e-mails
  • From: Webmaster <whoismail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 01:14:33 +0200

Dear ICANN,

It appears that several hundreds of automatic e-mails have been sent from ICM Registry, apparently in support for .xxx

The suspecious e-mails are all titled: "Please approve the .XXX Registry Agreement".

If we take a closer look at these e-mails we will see that:

a) The timestamps are all very close. Looks like automated software, and not human activity.

b) Majority of the e-mail addresses used are built in the exact same format with the personal name in front of the @. For example johndoe@xxxxxxxxxx, smith@xxxxxxxxxx etc

In the real world there is more diversity in the email addresses, e.g. info@xxxxxxxxxx, sales@xxxxxxxxxx, webmaster@xxxxxxxxxx, somethingfunny@xxxxxxxxxx

It also doesn't make sense that so many supposed "supporters" of .xxx all use personal e-mail addresses, and not business addresses. It is uncommon in the adult entertainment industry to use the personal email address for conducting business.

In comparison when you look at the e-mail addresses from adult industry people who are against .xxx, you will notice that there is much more variation in how the e-mail addresses look like.

I strongly urge you to have IT forensics examine the e-mails which have been sent from ICM Registry to validate whether those emails are in fact genuine, and not simply email accounts created for the purpose of fooling ICANN.

Please reject the .xxx TLD - nobody wants it, except Stuart Lawley.

Thank you.