ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

Opposition to .xxx

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Opposition to .xxx
  • From: Kevin <ims2002@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 14:13:31 -0400

Dear Sirs,

I am oppossed to .xxx TLD. I believe this will constitute a discriminatory and repressive action by segregating adult sites.

The Internet was designed to be a self-regulated non-controllable worldwide platform for communications.

Once you begin to institute a policy of this type of site goes here and that type of site goes there, you defeat the spirit of the Net and introduce control. Who decides what constitutes an adult site? What if it is a personals site with forums where adult discussions take place? Is that then adult? Or is it adults have a sex discussion on a mainstream site?

The bottom line it is too murky.

You also create immense problems for domain owners. If someone owns sex.com, another fellow owns sex.net and a third fellow owns sex.org and they are all adult content based, who will get sex.xxx? That impedes on the inherent right to conduct commerce for the losers and will create immense legal and financial damages liability for your organization and others involved in this .xxx TLD implementation.

All I see is endless litigation if this is implemented.

It is a ridiculous concept and should be abandoned.

Regards,

Kevin