ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

ICANN’s decision regarding the .xxx tld

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN’s decision regarding the .xxx tld
  • From: Manny <triplemanny@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 19:35:30 -0400

Dear Dr. Cerf,

This letter concerns ICANN's decision regarding the .xxx tld.

Adding a new tld to the mix isn't an effective way of blocking children from
visiting adult sites. There are far better ways of protecting our children.
Why don't all the backers of the new tld take their money and put it to good
use by investing it in filtering software for IE and Mozilla?

By adding this new tld the internet as a whole will be taking a huge step
backwards. It's going to create a mess with copyright issues and domain
disputes. The only people who will benefit will be the lawyers and the
financial backers of this whole .xxx move.

The only solution for protecting a child from viewing adult material online
is good filtering software. New tlds don't suffice. The people behind the
.xxx idea are either wolves in sheep's clothing or too naive in believing
that the new tld will make a difference.

There's an old Greek saying that my Grandmother keeps telling me: "Prin
Paris To Samari, Agorase To Gaidaro", which translates to "Buy the donkey
before buying the saddle". The .xxx people are assuming that all the adult
domains will transfer over to the new .xxx tld. Shouldn't we wait until a
law is passed that forbids adult sites from registering .com domains and
only then approving .xxx as a new tld? You and I both know that this will
never happen.

Wishful thinking isn't a solution, take action by putting a halt to the .xxx
"scam" and let's invest our money in filtering software. Let's make a
difference by forming a charitable foundation who's sole purpose is to
provide free filtering software to families with children.

Yours truly,

Emmanuel Pinos