ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

Views from a concerned parent / consumer that does NOT support .XXX

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Views from a concerned parent / consumer that does NOT support .XXX
  • From: "rex bass" <rexbass24@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 22:54:55 -0300

Any site that contains adult content, adult themed content or anything that THEY (governing bodies/registrars/etc) feel is too adult for the general internet will be on a .xxx domain TLD.

This makes it much easier for parents to block certain types of sites which is great for those lazy ones who can't watch their own kids, however it also makes it too easy for ISPs to completely filter out these sites based on what THEY (governing bodies/registrars/etc) say is bad. Entire countries actually ban the access of adult themed content, such as Germany. Are we going to see complete bands in North America next? Seems like it. These steps are frightening to me. I'm not just talking about porn here, adult themed can be anything that someone may be offended by or it could just be someone with pictures of the Budweiser bikini girls to even as ridiculous as someone who has a blog and talks about sex occasionally. Yes, adult themes are that broad.

The potential for people to completely filter out sites is too high. Imagine you're renting a room somewhere and they provide internet to you as well. Say they are bible thumpers or don't fully understand that the .xxx TLD is not just for stoping evil porn itself and end up blocking your access to it. What if you are researching vaginitis or heaven forbid, sexual education.. if someone along the wire don't like it, you may be blocked. Many ISP's would love to block porn because their shareholders are too against it. Try explaining to these shareholders that .xxx is not only for evil porn and that other adult naatured sites pertainign to education, views and slight sexual textual and image content. They won't listen. The same thing like that happened with Yahoo groups. They shut down tons of adult yahoo groups and removed the remaining ones from the index, you have to find other means of finding them. All because of righteous shareholders. Look what may happen here with the .xxx TLD.

Think about it.

The potential ability to completely sensor what "THEY" feel is 'adult is against everything we believe in in the free world.. freedom of expression, determining what is too adult for yourself and heaven forbid, someone who actually wants to view porn.

.XXX will NOT stop kids from viewing it. You'll have tons of guestbooks, blogs, forums, .info and .biz sites laoded with more questionable and mostly underage content, like it already is, but it will be more accesible than .com porn. Is that what's really best for everyone?

Why can't you lazy and closed minded parents stop saying "AH PORN IS BAD GET RID OF IT" and realize sex is only natural. You had sex to conceive your brats you refue to raise properly so why is sex only ok in YOUR bedroom and not online and everywhere's else. It's your job to shelter your children from it before they are of age to comprehend and enjoy it legally. If you worry about your kids finding porn, maybe it's time you watched what they do online, talk to them about it and stop looking for it yourself. 50% of the time it's parents with porn bookmarks that whine about their kids finding it and then blame people who produce porn.

Kids find porn 3 ways:
1: They LOOK for it. Who's fault is that? The people who own the sites or the kids?
2: They find the urls and content on their parent's computers. Who's fault is that?
3. They want to see it. Which means, they'll find a way. .XXX won't stop it. Filters can be broken, kids are very smart, they'll find proxies, use file sharig applications and even use NNTP servers (newsgroups in outlook/etc for the tech impared). They will also find it in .com / .biz / .info / .ru / ip based / .to etc sites registered outside the US. Google is filled with it. Problem is.. most of it is illegal or non nude child modeling related. Still sexually geared though. Only way to stop it is.. to..... yes you guessed it. WATCH YOUR KIDS@!#E@$%

So tell me all those who approve of .XXX ... are you willing to take action on what your own kids do (meaning actually raise them and watch them) or find another way to cry foul and blame everyone but yourselves when kids come in contact with adult themed content. Remember, adult themed is not limited to just pornography.

So the answer some want is, put it on .XXX and that will solve everything. ISP are going to be blocking .XXX. You know it, I know it. That's a total invasion of rights. If I want to watch porn, I am allowed to. I am 27 years old and nobody has any right to stop me. SO stop blaming the pornlords and do your job parents.

Oh, BTW.. I AM a parent myself. So don't say I don't know anything about watching a child... do you?

This is as retarted as laws forcing grown adults to wear bicylce helmets because a few kids were hurt on bicycles. Watch your kids and they wouldn't get hurt.