ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

NO to .xxx

  • To: <xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: NO to .xxx
  • From: <email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 02:51:50 -0600

As a member of the adult Internet industry, I am writing to express my
opposition to the creation of a .XXX top-level domain (TLD), and to urge ICANN
to take advantage of the opportunity presented by the Commerce Department and
rescind its earlier decision to approve ICM Registry's application to establish
and run the above-mentioned TLD.

I believe that there is no compelling reason to establish such a TLD other than
to make a few people wealthy at the expense of many, and that any benefits that
may accrue to webmasters who purchase .XXX domains will be far outweighed by
the likelihood that governmental and non-governmental entities, both domestic
and foreign, will impose unacceptable restrictions on lawful constitutional
speech. As a responsible member of the adult entertainment community, I am also
very concerned that I will not have a sufficient enough voice on the IFFOR
Board of Directors, which will be setting all policies for the TLD, and that
these policies will be established and enforced by people who may not have the
best interests of this industry at heart, and may in fact be personally hostile
to it.

I believe that there is a far superior solution to the problem of making
material unsuited to viewing by minors unavailable to them. Rather than herding
protected speech into a 'virtual ghetto', a content-positive .KIDS TLD should
be created where children can find child-friendly websites, making it far
easier for parents to filter .KIDS in than it will be for them to filter adult
content out. In this scenario, there is no risk of censorship, and minors will
have a safe place of their own in which to experience the gifts of the
Internet.

Again, I respectfully request that you take this opportunity to let this
application lapse without any further action.