ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

I oppose the creation of the .xxx TLD

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: I oppose the creation of the .xxx TLD
  • From: "Blackrose" <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 09:02:40 +0800 (CST)

Hello,

As a member of the adult Internet industry, I am writing to express my
opposition to the creation of a .XXX top-level domain (TLD), and to urge
ICANN to take advantage of the opportunity presented by the Commerce
Department and rescind its earlier decision to approve ICM Registry&rsquo;s
application to establish and run the above-mentioned TLD.

I believe that there is no compelling reason to establish such a TLD other
than to make a few people wealthy at the expense of many, and that any
benefits that may accrue to webmasters who purchase .XXX domains will be far
outweighed by the likelihood that governmental and non-governmental entities,
both domestic and foreign, will impose unacceptable restrictions on lawful
constitutional speech. As a responsible member of the adult entertainment
community, I am also very concerned that I will not have a sufficient enough
voice on the IFFOR Board of Directors, which will be setting all policies for
the TLD, and that these policies will be established and enforced by people
who may not have the best interests of this industry at heart, and may in
fact be personally hostile to it.

I believe that there is a far superior solution to the problem of making
material unsuited to viewing by minors unavailable to them. Rather than
herding protected speech into a \'virtual ghetto\', a content-positive .KIDS
TLD should be created where children can find child-friendly websites, making
it far easier for parents to filter .KIDS in than it will be for them to
filter adult content out. In this scenario, there is no risk of censorship,
and minors will have a safe place of their own in which to experience the
gifts of the Internet.

Again, I respectfully request that you take this opportunity to let this
application lapse without any further action.

Yours truly,

V.R.Z.