ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

.KIDS is the Best Way to Protect Our Kids

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .KIDS is the Best Way to Protect Our Kids
  • From: internetaddict <internetaddict@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 12:05:34 -0700

*.KIDS is the Best Way to Protect Our Kids*

The implementation of a .xxx domain will only heighten the opportunity for legitimate adult content sites to be ghettoized into an online red-light district, making it easier for underage viewers to find it – creating a false sense of “safety” for parents that could lead to even more problems. It would also create more ways for illegal websites that feature underage content or that maliciously target underage viewers to grow and expand even more than they have already.

The concept of a .kids domain as a “safety zone” and a “safe haven” for underage users is a much better idea. Technically speaking, it would be easier to monitor and control – and would be simpler for most filtering software and programs to work in keeping minors within the safe zone. Parents have a tough job in keeping their children safe while on the Internet – and unfortunately, most parents don’t have a good enough understanding of how to accomplish creating their own safety net.

As a parent myself I feel that instead of a red-light zone – children and families NEED a green-light zone that will help them to have a safe and positive online experience.

Thank you for taking the time to consider all input in making this decision,

- Laura Young