ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

The people behind .XXX are part of the porn problem

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: The people behind .XXX are part of the porn problem
  • From: Reed Lee <reedlee@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 10:37:08 -0500

This comment is offered in response to that of
Michael Oprano.  He indicates that "the people
involved in .XXX have had deep porn roots."

Actually, in fairness, I must disagree.  Unless
Mr. Oprano knows something I don't, I think he's
wrong about that.  Of the two people I know who
are involved with ICM, neither have any past porn
involvement that I know of or that I've heard about
from anyone who's been close to adult entertainment
in particular or free expression causes in general.

There is certainly no love lost between me and ICM
at the moment, but fair is fair and truth is truth.
I don't think either of ICM's principal spokespersons
have ever before been involved with porn.  Indeed,
that's one reason why, in my view, all their talk
about industry or community _self_-regulation should
be taken with more than a few grains of salt.  But
to portray ICM as already knee-deep in the porn business
is, at least with respect to the ICM people I know,
unfair and incorrect.