ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

[Forwarded opposition letter

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [Forwarded opposition letter
  • From: tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 19:03:44 -0700

May 2006

Dear Dr. Cerf,

As a member of the adult Internet industry, I am writing to express my
opposition to the creation of a .XXX top-level domain (TLD), and to
urge ICANN to take advantage of the opportunity presented by the
Commerce Department and rescind its earlier decision to approve ICM
Registry&rsquo;s application to establish and run the above-mentioned
TLD.

I believe that there is no compelling reason to establish such a TLD
other than to make a few people wealthy at the expense of many, and
that any benefits that may accrue to webmasters who purchase .XXX
domains will be far outweighed by the likelihood that governmental and
non-governmental entities, both domestic and foreign, will impose
unacceptable restrictions on lawful constitutional speech. As a
responsible member of the adult entertainment community, I am also very
concerned that I will not have a sufficient enough voice on the IFFOR
Board of Directors, which will be setting all policies for the TLD, and
that these policies will be established and enforced by people who may
not have the best interests of this industry at heart, and may in fact
be personally hostile to it.

I believe that there is a far superior solution to the problem of making
material unsuited to viewing by minors unavailable to them. Rather than
herding protected speech into a \'virtual ghetto\', a content-positive
.KIDS TLD should be created where children can find child-friendly
websites, making it far easier for parents to filter .KIDS in than it
will be for them to filter adult content out. In this scenario, there
is no risk of
censorship, and minors will have a safe place of their own in which to
experience the gifts of the Internet.

Again, I respectfully request that you take this opportunity to let this
application lapse without any further action.

Yours truly,

Adam Silverman
Silverman Computech, Inc.