ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

xxx domain

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: xxx domain
  • From: "Dr. Alan Lott" <alanlott@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 13:32:53 -0400

while i realize that some terms of the proposed agreement were a stumbling block, i urge you to become proactive in leading and supporting an effort to limit all pornographic material to a single domain. for those sites claiming to display "artistic nudity" another domain could be created. thus, all nudity would be compartmentalized. penalties should be harsh and action should be swift against violators. yes, this single domain creates a virtual red light district but at least once i know where the district is i can avoid it - and more importantly, keep my kids away from it. i am not pro censorship by any means but compartmentalizing material by type and topic does absolutely, positively no harm - every library in the world is set up this way. the change itself would be transparent to users who will still get to the material the way they do now, via search engine. the difference is that i can universally (and effectively) block those "inapropriate for children" domains as can many millions of other parents and schools. is there not enough trash and evil in this world that our children must be involunarily exposed to that we can not (because of politics, money, etc) make safe an invaluable resource for daily use?

warmest regards,

--
Dr. Alan C. Lott, CRC
Research Assistant Professor

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the
realist adjusts the sails."
-William Arthur Ward