ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] FYI: Council adopts Transfers and WHOIS

  • To: Denise Michel <denisemichel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] FYI: Council adopts Transfers and WHOIS
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:00:36 +0100

On 2003-02-20 08:31:23 -0800, Denise Michel wrote:

> When you have time, would you please send the ALAC an explanation
> of which recommendations are binding and which are not,

The four policies in the first chapter of the report are binding
(heading: "consensus policies"), the rest ("practical
recommendations") is not.

> what action the Council is asking the Board to take,

You're getting me in the process mechanics here, so I may be wrong,
but I think the board is supposed to rubber-stamp the binding
consensus policies, and the board and staff are *asked* to implement
the general advice directed at them; some other advice is directed
at the registrars themselves.

> what process you think the ALAC should use to comment on the
> outstanding Issue Reports,

The Task Force is going to have a conference call on the privacy
issues report next Tuesday, which will be used for a brain-storming
session.

ANY INPUT WOULD BE WELCOME.

> What action (if any) you would recommend that the ALAC take at
> the Board level,

I don't think we'll need to take any at this point of time.

> and what you would suggest the parameters need to be for the new
> policy development process.

Will have to think about this.  In any event, I should probably have
been clearer in my summary that the *intent* is to have the WHOIS
Task Force produce the issues report, but that of course other
bodies are also free to produce one if they want.  (Marilyn already
has corrected me on that on the GA list... ;-)

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler                        <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>