ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] WHOIS TF: Brainstorming on privacy.

  • To: Esther Dyson <edyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] WHOIS TF: Brainstorming on privacy.
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:39:41 +0100

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 07:23:51 -0500, you wrote:

>Vittorio -
>
>actually, in many cases, in Europe, the balance is too far *against* data
>collection, and the customer does not get enough flexibility even if he
>would *like* to be treated as an individual with specific
>requirements  (but never mind!).

Well, independently from what we may think of the EU privacy law, it is law,
so we have to comply to it. Of course an approach the task force may have is
to distinguish legal requirements in different countries and to give
different recommendations according to the customer's country, but I guess
this would be a mess for registries and registrars to implement. So the only
alternate approach is to go for the union of all law requirements, which
means that the EU law, which is possibly the most restrictive one for
service providers, should be taken as reference.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
--------> http://bertola.eu.org/ - Archivio FAQ e molto altro... <--------