ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] RALOs

  • To: Sebastian Ricciardi <sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] RALOs
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler-mobile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 00:32:53 +0200

Sebastian,

we are in "violent agreement" on a significant part of the substance
of what you wrote.

The disagreements we may have are mostly about the semantics of what
you and I mean by "arbitrary." Without going into the details of
that particular discussion (we can have it off-list, if you want),
let me just note that my use of that word was not at all meant as
criticism of what you wrote, and that it was not meant to imply the
notion of *unfair* processes...

The points of substantial agreement we seem to have (please correct
me where I'm wrong):

- The ICANN bylaws basically contain all the important criteria.
  (Like open and participatory, dominated by individuals,
  self-sustaining...)

- Non-for-profit status may be desirable. (This is not in the bylaws
  currently, and may be a problem to verify in practice.)

- The rest can be left to the collective judgment of some committee.
  (Either this one, or existing at-large structures.)

The one substantial point where I have a concern is disclosure of
funding -- I wouldn't like to see us make a final proposal about
this without having done some consultation before.

Concerning the MoU drafting, I have no doubt that some on this
committee have the skills to draft a decent agreement, and I was
certainly not going to dispute your professional skills and
abilities.

However, not everyone on this committee has these skills -- I, for
one, am not a lawyer. For people like me, it's *much* easier to work
on some high-level text instead of trying to edit ideas into the
draft of a detailed legal document -- which would only be ruined by
that kind of editing. ;-)

Thus my proposal: High-level document first, with everyone's
participation; legal document drafting later, by those lawyers who
may be willing and able to do it.

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler                 <roessler-mobile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>