ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [alac] revised draft for internal procedures

• To: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] revised draft for internal procedures
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 08:12:38 -0400

I think overall it is way too early to get so detailed and procedural. The ALAC should evolve (bottom-up) and ultimately determine its own rules. We are the *advisory* committee, not the exec committee. As much as possible, we should work by consensus rather than these too-formal procedures. We should structure ourselves in a way that will *give way* to a more formal structure when the new members arrive.

We were not elected or even appointed "bottom-up," and therefore I think the major mechanism for us to be accountable should be transparency rather than arbitrary voting mechanisms. Clearly, any committee member who feels that his opinion has been ignored should complain. we're a small group and I think so far we have worked together okay.

Also, I think *all* members of the committee should feel free to talk to the public, and *all* members should carefully make the distinction between their own opinions and those of the committee.

finally, I think the role of staff is a little broader than outlined here (until committee members are willing to undertake much more of the burden!). In reality, "staff" is capable, a good spokesperson for the group - along with its formal members - and is and should be more active than described. The issue is that staff should work *with* the ALAC (as it does) rather than independently.... Finally, the document process is unfortunately not as swift as you envision in reality (3 days' turnaround....). Both decision-making and document production are essentially collaborative processes.

Esther

At 06:01 AM 4/8/2003, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
I have revised Thomas's draft about internal procedures. Main changes
are:

- terms of officers expire after Annual Meeting (so that the newly
appointed ALAC members can immediately elect the new officers);

- votes to be held at physical meetings or during telephone calls must
be announced in advance and require a quorum (to avoid that people who
cannot afford to be present at physical meetings or conference calls
are excluded from the decision-making process);

- a mechanism for private voting (mandatory for appointments) has been
provided, with a public mechanism to solve challenges.

Please expose any objections or comments as soon as possible.
--
vb.                  [Vittorio Bertola - vb [at] bertola.eu.org]<---
-------------------> http://bertola.eu.org/ <-----------------------

Esther Dyson Always make new mistakes! chairman, EDventure Holdings writer, Release 3.0 (on Website below) edyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 1 (212) 924-8800 -- fax 1 (212) 924-0240 104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor) New York, NY 10011 USA http://www.edventure.com

The conversation continues..... at
http://www.edventure.com/conversation/

Release 1.0 - the first good look
at technology that matters

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy