ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] revised draft for internal procedures

  • To: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] revised draft for internal procedures
  • From: Esther Dyson <edyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 08:12:38 -0400

I think overall it is way too early to get so detailed and procedural. The ALAC should evolve (bottom-up) and ultimately determine its own rules. We are the *advisory* committee, not the exec committee. As much as possible, we should work by consensus rather than these too-formal procedures. We should structure ourselves in a way that will *give way* to a more formal structure when the new members arrive.

We were not elected or even appointed "bottom-up," and therefore I think the major mechanism for us to be accountable should be transparency rather than arbitrary voting mechanisms. Clearly, any committee member who feels that his opinion has been ignored should complain. we're a small group and I think so far we have worked together okay.

Also, I think *all* members of the committee should feel free to talk to the public, and *all* members should carefully make the distinction between their own opinions and those of the committee.

finally, I think the role of staff is a little broader than outlined here (until committee members are willing to undertake much more of the burden!). In reality, "staff" is capable, a good spokesperson for the group - along with its formal members - and is and should be more active than described. The issue is that staff should work *with* the ALAC (as it does) rather than independently.... Finally, the document process is unfortunately not as swift as you envision in reality (3 days' turnaround....). Both decision-making and document production are essentially collaborative processes.

Esther