ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] New gTLDs analysis -- Draft

  • To: Dr Xue Hong <hongxue@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] New gTLDs analysis -- Draft
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler-mobile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 07:37:15 +0200

On 2003-04-26 11:17:15 +0800, Dr Xue Hong wrote:

> "Different from ordinary new gTLDs evaluation, any evaluation of
> IDNgTLDs should ensure the participation of the language
> community that would primarily use and be affected by the IDN
> policy."

Apologies for not replying earlier.

I'm not convinced that this is something we should recommend -- at
least in its current form, this statement sounds a little like we'd
make an attempt to open up the door for l'Academie Française and its
equivalents to broadly participate in the evaluation of individual
gTLD proposals.  (Which doesn't sound right at all.)

I'd prefer if we could considerably narrow down this proposed
recommendation, e.g., to the following two points:

- Determination of confusing similarity with other TLDs. The
  character equivalence tables being used with IDN SLD registrations
  (which I understand to be a product of the language communities'
  work) could prove to be useful when doing a "no-harm" evaluation
  on the root level.

- IDN ccTLDs.  Is it possible to identify a limited and fixed set of
  "IDN ccTLD identifiers", much like the ISO two-letter codes, but
  not in Latin, and more suitable for cultures, countries (+
  distinct economies and territories, etc) where latin characters
  aren't generally understood, and the current latin ccTLD may be of
  little use?  These identifiers could be reserved at the root
  level, or directly assigned to the corresponding ccTLD operators;
  that would have to happen before IDN gTLDs become available. The
  idea would be that local wishes and concerns could be better
  accommodated in further levels of structure below such TLDs than
  on the root level.

Comments (or flames) welcome.

Regards,
--