ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Fwd: [gtld-com] Draft final report (v4)

  • To: Interim ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] Fwd: [gtld-com] Draft final report (v4)
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 17:57:29 -0700

Here's the GNSO gTLDs committee's latest draft (rudimentary HTML conversion at <http://wendy.seltzer.org/icann/gTLDS_committee_conclusions_v4.html> )

It seems to have changed considerably from the version we commented upon, and now recommends a more highly structured space with more specific criteria for approval of new gTLDs. We had endorsed the earlier statement that any "structure" should come from user demand, fostering competition, and avoiding confusion. Although the ALAC does not have a vote in the GNSOs "gTLDs Committee of the Whole", we can still offer further comments, and may want to consider sending comments directly to the Board as well.

I'm concerned that the detailed recommendations perpetuate the "beauty contest" mode of selecting new gTLDs rather than making name addition a routine process.

--Wendy