ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] WIPO2 comments to ICANN

  • To: Erick Iriarte Ahon <faia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>, alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [alac] WIPO2 comments to ICANN
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 06:51:02 -0700

At 01:06 AM 05/12/2003 -0500, Erick Iriarte Ahon wrote:
A question :)

"....
Country Names

The language on country names once again relies upon criteria applied to the "registration or use" of domain names. The same concerns as above apply.

Once again, it seems more appropriate to give each country control of its name (and any other character strings it chooses) in its unique ccTLD, not to grant it monopoly rights in strings across all TLDs."

I don't understand so good, the second idea.... " give each country control of its name".. the idea is give "each country (government)" the control of cctld ? so... give the control of nic ??...

The document is only talking about the country-name string, not control of the entire ccTLD. The idea was that countries could control their <country-name.ccTLD> but don't get the string elsewhere. For example, France could demand france.fr (and republiquefrancaise.fr, republique.fr if it wanted), but it would not have rights to france.com, france.biz, france.net etc.

--Wendy

I don't support this idea, and some people fight with similar idea in the WSIS document, the cctld administration and the "rights" about .xx (based in the iso 3166-1 alpha 2), is not "appropriate" to give "some kind of" control in the cctld administration.

Maybe i don't read good, and wendy can tell-me what mean this phrase! :)

Erick