ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[fwd] about "[alac] WSIS Reloaded! --- Rechange!!" (from: ajp@glocom.ac.jp)

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [fwd] about "[alac] WSIS Reloaded! --- Rechange!!" (from: ajp@glocom.ac.jp)
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 23:07:27 +0200

----- Forwarded message from Adam Peake <ajp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> -----

From: Adam Peake <ajp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: faia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: izumi@xxxxxxx, cctld-discuss@xxxxxxxxx, alac@xxxxxxxxx,
        council <council@xxxxxxxx>, roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 12:12:10 +0900
Subject: about "[alac] WSIS Reloaded! --- Rechange!!"
Erick,

Some comments we sent on the WSIS documents attached (I doubt my
email will get to many of the list addresses you sent to.)

3 sections, you should see the 2nd section on "The Internet's Unique
Identifier Systems" for ICANN related comments.

WSIS is an unpleasant policy environment for name and addressing
issues (<http://www.itu.int/wsis/>, see "intersessional meeting" for
current situation.) We have no right of response, some governments
seem to have quite aggressive agendas, there is a general
misunderstanding of the technical realities (etc. etc.)

I am not sure how you can best respond to WSIS. You (ALAC) are not an
accredited organization so they will probably not recognize any
comment you make.  But you can (*must*) lobby your individual
governments. And you could follow-up on Izumi's remarks in Montreal
and try to pressure GAC to be a little more consistent. Those of you
with business contacts might try to talk to the International Chamber
of Commerce, the main representative of private sector interests in
WSIS.

Going forward, I think the best approach is to explain why the
comments from governments are mistaken, and then to focus on broader
issues and principles of ICT governance, rather than the specifics of
names and addressing.

There is also a civil society working group on ICT governance issues
<https://ssl.cpsr.org/mailman/listinfo/governance>,
<mailto:governance-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe>

Thanks,

Adam