ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Suggested response to sTLD RFP

  • To: "Sebastian Ricciardi" <sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Suggested response to sTLD RFP
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:27:39 -0700

At 19:03 -0300 8/28/03, Sebastian Ricciardi wrote:
Wendy,

Do you think is possible to add a paragraph to your draft regarding high application fees and aplications from developing countries ?
I think current fees are unfair an inequitable, since they would practically elimitate any possibility for countries like Ghana, Argentina, Brazil or even Southafrica, Chile, etc. to join the process and propose new sTLD's.

Yes, I think it would be a useful addition to the point that high fees drive out non-profits, to say that even for-profit applicants from developing countries are likely to be deterred by these fees.

Thanks.
--Wendy

Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx || wendy@xxxxxxx
Staff Attorney, Electronic Frontier Foundation
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html