ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] [fwd] [IP] Let VeriSign's punishment fit (was: "IAB Commentary: DNS Wildcards") (from: dave@farber.net)

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] [fwd] [IP] Let VeriSign's punishment fit (was: "IAB Commentary: DNS Wildcards") (from: dave@farber.net)
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:19:05 +0200

----- Forwarded message from Dave Farber <dave@xxxxxxxxxx> -----

From: Dave Farber <dave@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: ip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:36:39 -0400
Subject: [IP] Let VeriSign's punishment fit (was: "IAB
  Commentary: DNS Wildcards")
I agree. djf

Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 07:42:23 -0700
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Let VeriSign's punishment fit (was: "IAB Commentary: DNS
Wildcards")
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: lauren@xxxxxxxxxx

Dave,

A marvel of the new IAB "DNS wildcards commentary" doc is that it managed
to go its entire length without even once using the word "VeriSign"
-- now that's entertainment!  It's an attitude that points up another
serious risk.  Attempting to treat this situation as a purely technical
matter is a diversion onto the road to ruin.

VeriSign's abuse in this matter relates at least as much to
organizational and economic issues as technical ones, with significant
political ramifications as well.  It would be inappropriate, for example,
to let VeriSign simply back out of Site Finder and then proceed with other
business as usual.

What we are experiencing (even as I write this) is a continuing incident
of unmitigated gall, of a severity and risk level never before
seen in the history of major ARPANET/Internet infrastructure providers.
The penalties need to be equally severe and far reaching.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren@xxxxxxxx or lauren@xxxxxxxxxx or lauren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, Fact Squad - http://www.factsquad.org
Co-Founder, URIICA - Union for Representative International Internet
                     Cooperation and Analysis - http://www.uriica.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy