ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Proposed ALAC restatement on WHOIS

  • To: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Proposed ALAC restatement on WHOIS
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:58:57 +0100

Suggested changes inline...  Apologies for not sending this earlier.

> In February 2003, the Interim At-Large Advisory Committee issued
> a formal statement on the issues of WHOIS accuracy and bulk
> access,
> <http://alac.icann.org/whois/whois_final_report_accuracy-20feb03.htm>.

> At the time, we remarked on the privacy concerns raised by the
> (then-proposed) policy mandating that domain name registrants

(strike "then-proposed")

> submit accurate and truthful identifying information while giving
> them no opportunity to protect that information from disclosure
> or public display.

> Accuracy was only half the equation, with privacy protections the
> necessary complement.  Although we did not then seek to delay
> enforcement of accuracy requirements, we recommended that work be
> commenced swiftly to give registrants more and better privacy
> options.
>
> We concluded that:
>     The Task Force's recommendations to systematically enforce the accuracy
>     of WHOIS data shift the existing balance between the interests of data
>     users and data subjects in favor of data users. In an environment where
>     registrants have perceived "inaccurate" data to be one of the most
> practical
>     methods for protecting their privacy, this shift of balance is reason
>     for
>     concern. It will inevitably increase the need for privacy protection
>     mechanisms to be built into the contractual framework.

Unfortunately, there has been no progress since February.

Domain
> name registrants are forbidden from using pseudonyms or fuzzy,
> "inaccurate" data in order to protect their privacy, yet there
> are no new safeguards or mechanisms by which they can shield
> their identifying details from disclosure.  As many

(delete "of us", as it was more widespread.)

> feared at the time

the GNSO recommended stricter enforcement of WHOIS accuracy, domain
name registrants lose out.

> The small businessperson working from a home office must list
> that home address and telephone number, as must the weblogger who
> wishes to publish at her own domain name.  The political
> dissident who wants to criticize his country's political regime
> is told to disclose his identity or find a trustworthy friend who
> is willing to do so instead.  Domain names are indisputably a
> tool of online expression, on an Internet in which individuals
> can speak alongside corporations and governments, yet many
> individuals are chilled by the prospect of signing a "speakers'
> registry" before they can participate fully.  [Compare the U.S.
> Supreme Court decision striking down a town ordinance that made
> individuals register for a permit before canvassing door-to-door.
> (Watchtower v. Village of Stratton, 2002)]

(I'd strike the SCOTUS reference.)

--
Thomas Roessler  <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
At-Large Advisory Committee: http://alac.info/