ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] New website

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] New website
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:40:06 +0100

The new ICANN website has been launched.

I have emailed Terri Irving to try to get the "individual internet users"
link above the fold, and to warn that even when you find it and click on it,
you get an almost meaningless page, where there is no explanatory text, and
the only thing that changes is the far-left menu, rather than the central
content... which is a no-no in web design :) Perhaps we should volunteer to
write an introductory page on what ICANN does for individuals and how they
can participate.

Also, I have sent some editorial suggestions on how to improve the general
look & feel - namely, use stronger colours to improve readability, split the
central section into two columns to avoid horizontal dispersion and
continuous eye move, put the most important content and navigation links at
the centre of the page rather than on side boxes, avoid having too many
different link groupings without making clear which one is the first to be
looked at, and so on. I think that making the ICANN website usable is much
more important for the average user than it is for the industry
representatives... so it deserves some effort on our part.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...