ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [alac] (fwd) RE: Call for nominations to RGP II Technical Steering Group

  • To: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] (fwd) RE: Call for nominations to RGP II Technical Steering Group
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:53:48 +0100

On 2004-01-24 13:43:36 +0100, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

>>Will you please let me know what your position is on the matter
>>below? Do you agree with Jeff or would you prefer to form the
>>group immediately and hence have the first meeting of the
>>Technical Steering Group in Rome?

> The registries are asking to defer this group since all available
> volunteers are already busy with the other GNSO policy processes.
> What do we think about this? 

I'd agree to defer this -- both due to the ongoing
policy-development processes which absorb considerable attention,
and also because it would seem prudent to wait until there is some
experience with the new transfers policy; that policy is about to be

On the other hand, I don't think there would be anything wrong about
an exchange of views between various groups in Rome.

> As we are, I think, in the same situation, I think we could
> support the request for a postponement. However, I would like to
> raise the issue of the unacceptable pricing of RGP domain
> redemption - many of those registrants who used RGP to redeem
> their domain have defined it more like an "extortion" than like a
> "service"(*)... and even if it's reasonable to charge a "late
> fee" if you fail to renew by the deadline, even if this involves
> additional non-automated processing that has a cost, I don't
> think it's reasonable for RGP redemption to cost figures like
> 150$ or more, when you can buy the domain for 10$. I guess this
> is an effect of the fact that this is yet another quasi-monopoly
> service - when your domain gets into RGP state, you don't have
> any other option than paying whichever figure the registrar asks
> you, or possibly losing it.

> Perhaps, if you could transfer your domain while in RGP, and you
> could do so *before* redeeming it, you could transfer it to a
> registrar that charges less for the RGP recovery of the domain -
> and getting prices down by competition would be much better than
> getting them down by regulation! If so, then we should try to
> make efforts so to ensure that this policy work is done asap.

I haven't had the time, yet, to read through the redemption grace
period documents.  How much of the $150 figure is the registry's
part of the pie, and how much is added by registrars?

Thomas Roessler  <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
At-Large Advisory Committee: http://alac.info/

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy