ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Action points / proposals from the Rome meetings

  • To: roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, izumi@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Action points / proposals from the Rome meetings
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 18:04:09 +0100

> 17. We should find a way to revitalize our forum and/or > replace it with something more appealing to users. > (Proposal: shall we merge it with the GA list?)

>    Though Denise said it is moderated, I think it is not - there
>    are too many spam mails there!  Merging with GA, or adding a
>    new list with GA may work.

Traditionally, the GA list has only been open to subscribers;
alac-forum is attracting spam, though.  The real problem of the GA
list is not spam, though:  It is the bad karma that this list has
collected.  In hindsight, I guess that shutting down the GA list and
starting over with stricter rules migh have been a better idea than
keeping the moribund GA list alive.

I agree that to force a merger will create more problems than it solves.
Also, if the idea is to find "something more appealing to users" I don't think that the GA will help.

That said, we urgently need to find some way for open discussion -- the current forum clearly does not work: While we may have a hard time to reach out, those people who are coming to us (through the forum) have an even harder time getting any response back from ALAC, or getting involved in any discussion with others who are interested. Let's face it: In terms of enabling communication among individuals about ICANN issues, we have been a miserable failure so far. I'd hope we can change that.

The problem is that if the message is received by everybody, with nobody specifically in charge for it, it will not be answered. If we want to manage an open forum, we need to allocate the resources to it.
Personally, I would be more in favour to a web post without sending to a mailig list. But this does not change the issue, which is who answers.

> 18. We should find a way to make the als-discuss list > operational and active. (Proposal: shall we appoint one of > us as "facilitator" for public communication, with the > specific responsibility to oversee public discussion mailing > lists?)

>    I would recommend to have two people, perhaps, than only one
>    facilitator. Unless we have "superman/women".

While it's good to have someone who's responsible, I'd hope that --
once we have put an infrastructure in place that actually encourages
communication -- all members of this committee attempt to
participate in discussions.

Again, it is OK if everybody participates to the discussion on a voluntary basis, but without a responsible we will never get good results.

Regards
Roberto