ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] At Large suggestions on the establishment of new gTLDs

  • To: als-discuss@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] At Large suggestions on the establishment of new gTLDs
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:21:05 +0200

Dear At Large Structures,

we have received a request for comments by the ICANN staff. We are asked
to make suggestions from a user's point of view about the process that
ICANN should establish for the examination of new gTLD proposals, with
reference to the excerpt of ICANN's Memorandum of Understanding with the
DoC reported below.

We already released a statement on this matter in the past, which you
may find at

http://alac.icann.org/correspondence/response-stld-process-09oct03.htm

We are wondering whether there is anything new we should add. So we are
asking you for comments and suggestions on this matter.

We will have to provide a formal reply before September 30, so we kindly
ask you to send any comment before September 25. Feel free to ask
questions if you have any.

Thanks,

=====
8. Continue the process of implementing new top level domains (TLDs),
which process shall include consideration and evaluation of:

a. The potential impact of new TLDs on the Internet root server system
and Internet stability;

b. The creation and implementation of selection criteria for new and
existing TLD registries, including public explanation of the process,
selection criteria, and the rationale for selection decisions;

c. Potential consumer benefits/costs associated with establishing a
competitive environment for TLD registries; and,

d. Recommendations from expert advisory panels, bodies, agencies, or
organizations regarding economic, competition, trademark, and
intellectual property issues.
--
.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu.org