ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Proposed additional questions for ALAC applicants

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Proposed additional questions for ALAC applicants
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:23:30 +0100

I think we should be clear on what are "compulsory commitments" and what is "nice to have".
I agree with Vittorio on the fact that participation to meetings (physical and teleconferences) should be taken for granted. The whole point in renewing part of the ALAC comes from the fact that a couple of people have found out that their situation had changed and that they could not cope with the commitments: if we loosen these commitments for fear of not finding candidates, we might as well stay with the current composition.

A different thing is participation to task forces, revision of position papers, outreach activities, etc. It should be clear that we do not expect everybody to do everything. In this sense, activities are "optional" or "nice to have". But it should also be clear that we expect members to do at least one of these activities, depending on time and personal inclination.

In other words, the ALAC exists to get some work done. Members are recruited to help in getting the work done. If individuals cannot contribute to this, no point in joining: we go to ICANN and say that it is difficult to "recruit" volounteers, and that we need to consider the idea of having more staff. Still better to face reality beforehand than to have to explain afterwards why we did not produce up to the expectations.

Regards,
Roberto GAETANO
ALAC
ICANN BoD Liaison