ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] WSIS Workshop Planning Group resolution

  • To: michel@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [alac] WSIS Workshop Planning Group resolution
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:28:16 +0100

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:13:40 -0800, ICANN At-Large - Denise Michel
<michel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>The idea is for a final version of the resolution to be circulated to
>all ICANN constituencies/committees for endorsement and then distributed
>to the "WSIS community."  So the ALAC will be asked for its formal
>endorsement in the near future.

The only point I'd like to make is that it must be clear that all this list
of "endorsements" for the ICANN public-private model does not mean that we
think that its current implementation is the best possible one. Should we
explicitly ask to add in the "resolved:" part a mention of the fact that
some revision of ICANN's internal structure and mechanisms could be
necessary to meet the new goals and principles put forward by the WSIS
process?

I don't want this resolution to be taken as a complete and binding
endorsement to the status quo - I think that it's clear that among
ourselves, as well as in the broader At Large users community, there still
are many concerns about the way users are represented now, as well as other
more general issues (the role of governments, the relationship with the USG,
etc.).

Comments?
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------