ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [alac] [fwd] [council] re proposed resolution for issues report on deleted names (from: philip.sheppard@aim.be)

• To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [alac] [fwd] [council] re proposed resolution for issues report on deleted names (from: philip.sheppard@aim.be)
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 15:33:52 +0100

FYI, I am aware of enough evidence of some disruption of registrar services due to "creative" processing. However, I agree that we should base a statement on public info.

For the record, I agree with the statement that deleted names should be free (in the sense that they should be publicly available, not taken as hostage by regiustries or registrars). Moreover, I am strongly opposed to *any* auction. The point is that if we start by accepting auctions on expired/deleted names, we establish a principle that can be used in the future by registries/registrars on auctioning *any* domain name. This might sound irrelevant if we think of .com or any already well-established TLD, but I'm sure you see the point for the future new TLDs.

Regards,
Roberto GAETANO
ALAC
ICANN BoD Liaison

To: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: alac@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [alac] [fwd] [council] re proposed resolution for issues report on deleted names (from: philip.sheppard@xxxxxx)
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:01:54 -0500

Thanks for forwarding, It seems far from neutral to me. I would have to have more data to START from the premise that "the re-selling of certain deleted or expiring names has lead to unforeseen strains on the ability of registries and registrars to manage their business efficiently" and that it has affected the "service level provided to users and the meaning of ICANN accredited as it applies to registrars."

I think expired domain names want to be free- meaning expired ones should go back to the public to be re-purchased. I certainly don't think their former registrars have any right at all to auction them and keep the spoils. I'm sure there's a way to auction them through a disinterested third party. I agree that resarch should be done and a report produced.
--
Jean Armour Polly
http://www.netmom.com/

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy