ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] [fwd] [council] re proposed resolution for issues report on deleted names (from: philip.sheppard@aim.be)

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [alac] [fwd] [council] re proposed resolution for issues report on deleted names (from: philip.sheppard@aim.be)
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 15:33:52 +0100

FYI, I am aware of enough evidence of some disruption of registrar services due to "creative" processing. However, I agree that we should base a statement on public info.

For the record, I agree with the statement that deleted names should be free (in the sense that they should be publicly available, not taken as hostage by regiustries or registrars). Moreover, I am strongly opposed to *any* auction. The point is that if we start by accepting auctions on expired/deleted names, we establish a principle that can be used in the future by registries/registrars on auctioning *any* domain name. This might sound irrelevant if we think of .com or any already well-established TLD, but I'm sure you see the point for the future new TLDs.

Regards,
Roberto GAETANO
ALAC
ICANN BoD Liaison