ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] [Fwd: Final Call on Resolution]

  • To: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] [Fwd: Final Call on Resolution]
  • From: Esther Dyson <edyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:20:22 -0500

WHy support it?

Let's start from the position of *not* supporting it unless there is some reason to do so.

esther

At 03:15 AM 1/27/2005, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
This is the proposed resolution from the WSIS Working Group, and we are
asked to endorse it.

Comments? I must confess I find it vague enough to be supportable,
without tying our hands in case the internal balance of stakeholders is
rediscussed in the future.

> WSIS Working Group Resolution > 24 December 2004 > Version 1.2 > > Whereas: > 1. ICANN is a bottom up, consensus based, participatory global > organization, responsible for coordinating the unique identifiers of the > Internet. In particular, ICANN is responsible for ensuring the stable > and secure operation of the Internet?s unique identifier systems, such > as the domain names, IP Addresses, protocol and parameters, the Internet > root server system and those policies that are related to the unique > identifiers; > > 2. At ICANN's creation, the community recognized the importance of a > unique forum to address these issues, and has supported the continuing > evolution of ICANN as the single global forum for coordinating the > unique identifiers of the Internet and related policy; > > 3. As the Internet evolves, so does the need for the participation of a > diverse and ever growing set of stakeholders, with a particular emphasis > on the participation of those from developing countries; > > 4. With this expanding broad participation, ICANN will continue to > evolve and mature in its role in coordinating the Internet?s unique > identifiers, and in increasing awareness and understanding of its role > in advancing the Internet. > > Recognizing: > 1. That Internet Governance has emerged as an important issue in many > fora, most especially through the WSIS process; > > 2. That no single entity or organization possesses the expertise or > breadth of participation to address all aspects of Internet Governance > in isolation; > > 3. That ICANN provides the opportunity for participation by diverse > stakeholders associated with, and interested in, its activities and > mission related to coordination of the unique identifiers of the > Internet, and must continually strive to strengthen this participation; > > 4. That many of the stakeholders involved in ICANN?s work are also > involved in the broader set of initiatives and organizations already > engaged in discussing or addressing Internet Governance. > > Resolved That: > 5. We endorse the ICANN model of a private public partnership ­ > involving the broadest set of stakeholders: civil society, non > governmental organizations, commercial and individual users, suppliers, > and governments ­ responsible for coordinating the unique identifiers of > the Internet and related policies; > > 6. We support the continuing internationalization of ICANN, and call on > ICANN to finalize and implement plans to bring its Memorandum of > Understanding with the U.S. Government to fulfillment and closure, and > to evolve ICANN into a stand-alone entity, able to pursue the roles > asked of it by the Internet community; > > 7. We call on those who seek change in the present stakeholder-driven > model for coordination of the technical management of the Internet's > unique identifiers to fully participate in ICANN's process and > activities, and work with ICANN's stakeholders to address their concerns > within the ICANN process; > > 8. We call on the ICANN Board, all ICANN stakeholders and staff to > participate in the Working Group on Internet Governance and in the World > Summit on the Information Society to advance broad support for the > public private, stakeholder-driven model for coordination of the > Internet?s unique identifiers; > > 9. We urge the ICANN board, ICANN stakeholders and staff to support the > growing awareness and understanding ICANN?s role, while recognizing the > need for collaboration, cooperation, coordination, and coexistence with > other organizations and entities who are engaged in the larger issues > and activities related to Internet Governance; > > 10. We support the collaboration and cooperation within the ICANN > community of gTLD registries, registrars, Internet service providers, > Regional Internet Registries, ccTLD managers, non-commercial and > business users and organizations, individual Internet users , the broad > technical community, root server operators and governments, and support > activities that increase understanding of ICANN?s work and focus as the > forum for coordinating the unique identifiers of the Internet and > related policy; and > > 11. We support improved communications and collaboration within all > members of the ICANN community for increasing understanding and > participation in ICANN, in particular from developing countries -- vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<----- http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...

Esther Dyson Always make new mistakes! Editor, Release 1.0

CNET Networks - www.cnet.com
104 Fifth Avenue (at 16th Street)
New York, NY 10011    USA

+1 (212) 924-8800