ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Amsterdam Strategic Plan Meeting: Shouldn't we be represented there?

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] Amsterdam Strategic Plan Meeting: Shouldn't we be represented there?
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:09:53 +0100

Hello,

last Monday, I had posted the announcement of the GNSO's Amsterdam
strategic plan meeting. [1] The meeting's purpose is to devise
comments on the strategic plan. The resources that are being spent
on this indicate that considerable effort is being put into these
comments by other constituencies inside ICANN.

1. http://forum.icann.org/mail-archive/alac/msg00901.html

I believe that ALAC should take this seriously and attempt to remain
in the loop as far as the community's discussion on the strategic
plan is concerned.

This is nothing less than the discussion about ICANN's own
perspective on what a crucial part of Internet governance should
look like in the near term. Staying out of the discussion would, in
my view, indicate a regrettable lack of interest on the committee.

Hence, the ALAC should (1) get a briefing about the plan as soon as
possible, (2) attempt to form a collective opinion on it, and (3) be
represented at the meeting.  I'll try to send some further thoughts
on this over the week-end, but would welcome if anyone else took the
lead.

Unlike what I had indicated in my earlier message, I might be in a
position to attend the meeting, representing ALAC, if reimbursed for
my travel cost.  (Amsterdam is a one-hour hop away from here, but
flying there is a rather expensive exercise.)

Your comments would be welcome.  In particular, I'd like to hear
your thoughts on the plan's substance, and I'd be curious to learn
whether anyone else could attend the meeting.

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.