ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Re: Long but important, and action needed: Selecting the 2006 ICANN Nominating Committee

  • To: George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] Re: Long but important, and action needed: Selecting the 2006 ICANN Nominating Committee
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 22:06:44 +0100

Il giorno lun, 07-11-2005 alle 23:55 -0500, George Sadowsky ha scritto:

>> All,
>>

>> I am writing to you as Chair of the ICANN 2005 Nominating Committee
>> Chair,
>> in preparation for the formation of the 2006 Nominating Committee,
>> for which a Chair is in the process of being chosen.

Hello,

I would like to come back to you with a feedback on this request.

As you know, the At Large Advisory Committee is tasked with the
responsibility to appoint a significant part of the Nominating
Committee. This is also due to the inherent complexity, vastity and
diversity of the At Large community if compared to other ICANN
constituencies.

For this reason, since 2003 we have established a formal process that
starts with a public call for nominations to all accredited At Large
Structures and other interested parties; then, after nominations have
been received, the Committee can examine them and select appointees.

As about ten days ago we received an informal warning that this request
may come, we have already started the process by circulating the call
for nominations. However, we need to allow a reasonable amount of time
for the ALSes to come up with names, and then, for us to examine them.
At the earliest, we might be able to finalize our appointments in
Vancouver, but there is no chance that we can conclude the process in
time to bring the appointees to the ICANN Meeting.

Also, while representatives from other constituencies often attend ICANN
meetings in any case, as part of their job, At Large representatives,
even if funded, usually need to agree vacation from their job with their
employer. Thus they usually require much earlier warning to be able to
travel and attend physical meetings. They cannot arrange travel, often
from remote parts of the world, in one or two weeks.

At the same time, we would find it of concern to us if the new
Nominating Committee met, formally or informally, in Vancouver without
its At Large members. The main objective of the Nominating Committee
process is to select individuals that can act in the global public
interest of the worldwide Internet community, as opposed to positions
that are filled directly by ICANN's business constituencies. Some of us
are already concerned by the general lack of appointees from the At
Large community in the rosters selected by the past NomComs. So we think
that the NomCom cannot function properly unless all its members, and
especially those selected by the At Large, are in place and are given
equal opportunities to participate.

While we appreciate the intent of giving more time for the new NomCom to
work, we also take into account the fact that the number of positions to
be filled in 2006 seems to be relatively small. For this reason, we
think that the process for selection of our NomCom appointees should not
be rushed and sacrificed to a desire for additional time that, though
commendable, does not seem vital. We are more than happy to start the
process earlier next year, but we honestly think that there is no time
to meet your request this year.

Thus we kindly ask that the planned meeting of the new NomCom on
December 4 and 5 in Vancouver is postponed until all constituencies have
been given sufficient time to make their appointments.

Regards,