ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] WSIS agenda

  • To: "Sebas Ricciardi" <sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] WSIS agenda
  • From: "John L" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 17 Nov 2005 12:11:45 -0500

I celebrate the fact that ICANN has been so myopically focused in other
minutiae details, rather than the broad set of issues that must be addressed
in these kind of forums, precisely.

Since ICANN has done such a bad job on the issues it has tried to deal with, like i18n domain names, I agree.

But a more competent ICANN would be a fine place to convene discussions to address Net issues, even if the work to be done isn't ICANN's. For example, the London Action Plan on spam is an ad-hoc group mostly of government consumer agencies. If ICANN had reasonable relationships with governments, ICANN would have been the right place to convene that group, even though very little of what they do directly affects DNS.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Mayor