ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] WSIS agenda

  • To: vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, johnl@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [alac] WSIS agenda
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:51:04 +0000

I think that we really have to take time in Vancouver to discuss among ourselves what the role and function of ALAC is and /or should be.
The way I see it, personally, is that we are here to build internet user representation "within ICANN", not in a different context. Which means, still in my personal opinion, that we need to address the issues that are within the scope of ICANN, not all the problems of the world.
In the same way as I previously, as chairman of the GA, accepted all kind of open and transparent discussion on matters that were related to our scope and mission (which at the time was Domain Names), but rejected as out of scope world politics (if not related to DNS), I am presently against shifting the focus of ALAC to issues, like for instance spam, that are outside the scope of ICANN.

Personally, and I expressed this opinion also in Board meetings, ICANN should stick to its mission, and try to do it better. If effort has to be spent, it has to be in the scope of the mission, and we have to be clear in rejecting what is outside it. Regardless of what any constituency of ICANN would like to do.

This is a serious question, and I intend to follow up on this. What is our (ALAC) role in this?
Sorry for not being alble to discuss this in more depth for the time being, I have severe connectivity limitations, and I hope to bring this back to life by mid-next week.

Regards,
Roberto GAETANO
ALAC
ICANN BoD Liaison