Re: [ga] Are the Falkland Islands and Bermuda in Europe?
  • To: geo-regions-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Are the Falkland Islands and Bermuda in Europe?
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <ploki_xyz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 00:09:51 +0000
  • Cc: marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxx

Marc,

Two points.

First of all, the change of the allocation.
As motivated by ICANN, it could seem that the change originated in the
update by UN of their table. Well, this is a false impression.
The page referenced by ICANN still shows the Falkland/Malvinas and Bermuda
in America.
So, the reason must be a different one. Maybe the old story of the
unhappyness of France about having .gp and .mq administered separately, and
not by AFNIC? If this is true, would the move of the colonies to a different
region be the first step in the takeover of NICs at present independently
managed?
This will be a very dangerous move, opening the way to either the
redelegation of NICs like .gp and .mq to AFNIC, or (even worse) the
disappearance altogether of those CCs, whose users will be lumped into .fr.

Secondly, the readjustment of the regions, modification of number thereof,
and so on.
With such insignificant number of electors in the different regions in
relation with the population (even with the active Internet user
population), a change now might only serve the interests of one or another
country or group, to artificially increase representation without strong
connection to the active population. It would be different if we had active
AtLarge members users in the range of the millions: when this would happen,
it would justify a redesign of the map of the regions to accomodate also a
concept of number of users. Note that this should not be the sole criterion,
but it seems reasonable that the "electoral districts" be revised. Until
then, we are better served by the statu-quo.

In summary, my recommendation (ICANN comment mailbox in copy) is to keep the
statu-quo, with the territories significantly separated from the "mother
country" in the region where they have been put by the UNSD. In the same way
as ICANN has, up to now, stayed away from the definition of "what is a
country", it should staw away from the definition of "where is a country",
and refer to UNSD and ISO.

Best regards
Roberto