ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[hans-memorial]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

[hans-memorial] Tribute to Hans Kraaijenbrink

  • To: <hans-memorial@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [hans-memorial] Tribute to Hans Kraaijenbrink
  • From: "Linda S. Wilson" <lswilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 11:11:29 -0500
  • Sender: owner-hans-memorial@xxxxxxxxx

To friends, family, and colleagues of Hans Kraaijenbrink,

We have suffered a great loss with Hans' death. We celebrate his life and mourn his death together.

I only had the privilege of knowing Hans for a short while, just since we became ICANN Directors in the Fall of 1998. Over that time we became good friends, joined by our common commitment to trying to achieve the goals set for ICANN.  We would usually sit next to one another at the Board meetings....it became a tradition...and we sometimes shared a dinner or trip to a museum if there were any spare time at the ICANN meetings. And, of course, we frequently shared our thoughts and concenrs over email and in teleconferences.
I came to know what a wise, intelligent, principled man Hans was.

He thought deeply, carefully, and creatively about the challenges ICANN was charged to address. He faithfully and tirelessly listened to the diverse constituencies' views and sought fair, effective, and scalable solutions to bridge the many competing claims. He accepted some of the hardest and thankless tasks in his work at ICANN, and he did them well.

His contributiones as an ICANN Board member were prodigious. He worked generously, selflessly, productively, and with great integrity. And he did so with good humor, good comraderie, and without complaint.

Hans' friendship meant a great deal to me. I will miss him very much. How much greater is his loss to his dearest friends and family.

I deeply regret that I cannot travel to the Netherland to celebrate his life and mourn his death with his friends, family, and colleagues on November 11. Please know that my thoughts will be with you. I know that your coming together on this day will bring some comfort and help us know this fine man even better through the words shared there and by the presence of so many who admired, respected, and loved him.

Linda S. Wilson

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>