[Date Prev]   [Date Next]   [Thread Prev]   [Thread Next]   [Date Index]   [Thread Index]

Criteria for Sponsored TLD's
  • To: <stld-rfp-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Criteria for Sponsored TLD's
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 00:34:51 -0600

In an effort to more equitable apply the fees collected to the cost of evaluating the new sponsored TLD's, i beleive the community can learn from the first "Lottery" in 2000.

The Lottery aspects occurred when the costs of evaluating, negotiating and "examining after the fact" were lumped together an charged to the application fees of all applicants.

In this manner, the fees of those rejected were used to pay the expenses of the select few that were approved...creating a subsidy for the winners.

I propose the board examine a possibly fairer treatment where the cost of evaluating alone is covered by the initial fee and only accepted applicants pay the total costs of negotiating final agreements, pre relaease ICANN allocated expenses, and the costs of a continual evaluation of this second stage process.

In essence, there would be a separate allocation of post selection expenses paid by those groups who are to receive the new STLD's.  Those accepted will already have to start paying their fixed allocations of the ICANN budget before launch.  The additional costs ICANN incurs to reach final agreements should be paid by those who directly benefit.

Secondly, I would ask the board to consider a partial refund of fees, to those groups whose applications are denied "at first glance" because of a failure, possibly in the minds of the evaluation teams based on interpretation,  to reach a minimum aspects of the criteria.

Perhaps, if this automatically rejected applicants fee refund deos not take place, the ICANN or evaluation staff should be available for a sort of pre-review where groups could gain a clearer understanding of the possible prima facie rejection of applications before spending time and money to never make it pass the first day's evaluation.

I submit these two additions to the criteria in an effort to provide a more equitable and less contest/lottery process.

Page Howe

[Date Prev]   [Date Next]   [Thread Prev]   [Thread Next]   [Date Index]   [Thread Index]

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy