Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: woodennickelguy
Date/Time: Thu, March 8, 2001 at 3:57 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Subject: website names and extentions

The more extensions that are approved, the more requests I will get to "reserve my name, before someone else gets it".  I get this from .CC and .TV on a regular basis.  Now I can look forward to .BIZ and .SHOP and .MUSEUM sending me email to register their extensions.

This is not going to increase the number of available site names.
Companies like Disney or Sony will not allow anyone to register disney.xxx or Sony.xxx(and rightly so), so we can expect every registered trademark in the world to already be reserved at .COM, and that they will register every .extension that comes along or sue anyone who tries to use their name (or even a similar name).

Additional extensions will just confuse the public and make this all more complicated, without adding any usefullness. 

Having said this I am in favor of the extension .XXX, but only if ALL xxx rated sites are somehow required to move there.  This is not censorship.  You don't expect to see xxx magazines in the kids room of the local bookstore, or xxx movies in the family area at the local video store.  But these items do exist and they are easily found in their own section, by those who want to find this material.  a .XXX section of the internet would accomplish the same thing and prevent things like http://www.whitehouse.com

Link: Old Time Wooden Nickel Co.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy