Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Anthony 2nd
Date/Time: Thu, March 22, 2001 at 7:35 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Subject: Personal message to Dr Cerf

I will not spend time reiterating the disbelief of those others here, although I join in their sentiment.

Dr Cerf you have done much for the internet throughout your life and career.

It would be unfortunate if, when you retire, you were remembered for being a keystone in its undoing.

I saw the look on your face as the whole Touton "put it in the basket" charade was under way. There may be strong financial reasons why Icann does not want IOD to succeed with .web. Mostly, I guess because they have not been able to buy into it as they have with Melbourne IT / CORE / Afilias etc.

Nevertheless the internet is stronger than any one organisation. You know that. It would never have got this far if it were not.

.web will succeed. With or without ICANN it is the only clear point of reference to the lay person. .com has been mis-handled (perhaps a victim of its own success) and the other trial TLDs you have put forwards are simply laughable. Far more people on this planet have heard of the web than of ICANN. Very few of them could mis-spell .web!

.info is the only contender to "increase the competition" within the A root and you gave it to the same minds that manage .com, .net and .org.

Many of us devote time and energy towards the internet, like yourself.

With so much apparant corruption surrounding you as you sell you name and reputation to ICANN, how can you bear to deprive those that would follow your own example from years past?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy