Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jandl
Date/Time: Mon, April 2, 2001 at 8:24 PM GMT (Mon, April 2, 2001 at 4:24 PM EDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Subject: re: duplication of the DotBiz TLD

I think it's important to keep in mind that there will be no transfer of the .BIZ TLD to ICANN.  DoC may enter a duplicate into their root, but the original .BIZ is still there. 

ICANN has definitely caused damage because people do believe that ICANN has the right to close the original registry.  This is not true.  However, if they duplicate the TLD in the root, there will be duplicate domain names.

In addition, some roots may elect to resolve the ICANN version of the TLD rather than the prior use and legitimate claim of the original TLD.  In that case, existing .BIZ domains will not resolve in those roots.  In that case, ICANN will have succeeded in further damaging registrants' legitimate use of their domains and let ICANN and DoC get away with this theft of a business product. 

ICANN has already established a precedent that it is okay to duplicate TLDs in the name space, so others are now following that lead.  New.net is one such example.  Others will follow, certainly.

I would not be surprised to see duplicates of .com/net/org popping up.  It's now open season, thanks to ICANN's acceptance of colliding TLD applications.

Don't give up just yet on .BIZ.  We do not intend to go away.  At this time .BIZ is carried by several roots, so choose the root you prefer and see the rest of the net.  www.youcann.here (.org) has a sample list of websites in the Inclusive Name Space.  There is more content produced every day and search engines are in development. 

The simple fact is that roots are not going away either.  As ICANN continues to set itself up as a world governing body, there will be more roots developed to preserve an open internet for the registrants and users that ICANN prefers to ignore.

We all have the capability to choose where we "point" our computers' DNS.  No one is locked into the USG root.  Personally, given the choice of watching TV via antenna, cable or satellite, I choose satellite.  I like choice. This is even more pertinent with choosing rootzones since there is no charge to see the rest of the net.  Just point to it and you don't need a de-scrambler. :)

For instructions to change DNS settings for the PacificRoot or ORSC, go to:

http://www.pacificroot.com/updatedns.shtml or
http://www.youcann.org

Link: the .BIZ TLD Registry

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy