Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: cyber-cynic
Date/Time: Thu, April 12, 2001 at 11:25 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Subject: Why support ICANN

There is sooooo much disdain of and bad feeling towards ICANN, that what I really don't understand is - why do people regard ICANN as a sole authority for TLD introduction.

If you are unhappy with ICANN it is very easy to get effectively silence them. Simply vote with your feet and use some of the many other root servers out there.

Now before some of you get on your high horses about internet stability, do a little research before you start sounding off. I have and I have been successfully using alt root servers for at least six months and I have a much wider range of TLDs that I can see - AND IT WORKS.

I am not saying all is well in the Alt Root world, its a bit like the wild west with everybody staking claims, but heck didn't America start off as the Wild West?

It is an effective means to an end and I am sure as these operators gain support, they will get their act together. They are actually quite sane people as I have found out.

Here is a link that gives information about the activities of all the root operators. Remember it's all about choice, and if ICANN can't offer it to you - you may as well turn to someone else who can. It might even shock ICANN into the real world - though I doubt it since they invariably act in bad faith anyway.

I guess old habits die hard.

Link: Root server info

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy