Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: timsexton
Date/Time: Fri, April 13, 2001 at 3:26 AM GMT
Browser: Opera V5.02 using Windows 98
Subject: Are multiple roots one DNS?

Leah,

While I do understand how you feel about ICANN taking away your .BIZ, you should accept it as fated as there is nothing really, which can be done as there is no central authority to issue or regulate TLD delegation. Multiple root operators may have different policies. For eg., my TXSroot won't recognize ICANN's .TV and we duplicated it for TeleVision stations and ours is priced much more cheaper (only $6). We however will allow Tuvalu to keep .tuvalu, if they want.

I do hope you can answer this question of mine - What could yourself and/or ARNI do to prevent New.net for taking away .family, .xxx, and .kids from you? Please do not say lawsuit since courts could simply dismiss the case as abuse of court system and order you to pay New.net's legal fees.

Your Top Level Domain Association (TLDA.org) is simply an unofficial group. And so is the USG root. I could virtually duplicate any ccTLD. Let's say, I did not like ICANN giving dot.TV exclusive monopoly over the TeleVision generic Top level Domain (gTLD), so I setup my own root and duplicated .TV. My root has over 5,000 registrations in .TV, with nearly 60% are working registrations (those that resolve in the DNS).

On the other hand, if I do duplicate the MAJOR top level domains, such as .com, .net, .org, .edu, .gov, .mil, .int, .uk, .ca, .us, .au, .ru, .sg, .cn, .my, and .id my root would be doomed a failure.

To see the duplicated dot.TV in TXSroot (that's my own public root), use these name server IP numbers - 202.9.20.9 and 202.9.20.10. My pricing for a .TV domain is only $6, which is way cheaper than ICANN's dot.TV.

Timothy X. Sexton
Root Manager
TXSroot Network Pte. Ltd.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy