Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jandl
Date/Time: Tue, April 17, 2001 at 9:35 AM GMT (Tue, April 17, 2001 at 5:35 AM EDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Subject: Careful

I can't speak for all roots, but I can tell you that I've yet to see The Pacroot servers fail and that system has been around since 1985 (Nomad Internetwork). I have noted failures in the DoC root server system, and certainly the loss of .com last year.  Those servers fail on a regular basis.  Read the domain policy archives. The beauty of it all is that you have a choice of which roots to point to, don't you?  If you think one is faulty, switch.  I've used pacroot for a long time with no problems (http://www.pacific.root.com/updatedns.shtml).

You might want to post where your information came from and be a bit more specific as to the failures.  I'm sure the root server operators would like to know about it.

I also fail to understand how machines cooperate (or not) with other machines.  Root servers are machines.  In addition, root managers may compete, but are working very diligently to resolve conflicting TLD issues.  Some date back many years and are being resolved now.  Aside from new.net, there are very few conflicts.  Which "alternate servers" have taken TLDs from others anyway?  They are incapable of doing so.

In the end, it will be organizations like the TLDA that will work out differences cooperatively and determine technical standards and best practices for operating TLDs.  ICANN certainly hasn't.  They've tried to dictate business models, though.  It's not the roots that count, you know. It's the TLDs.  The TLD holders as a trade association will get together and work things out.  DoC can join in - or not - but membership will certainly be open to them and all other TLd holders.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy