Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Slicer
Date/Time: Thu, May 24, 2001 at 3:02 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Subject: From me to you: Die of heart disease.

-    ...who accepts Microsoft stuff as the one 'true' system because it (in a manner of speaking) 'got there first', therefore everything else is wrong!

MS 6:66 - And there is only one operating system, and it shall be known as Windows, and there is only one God, and his name is Bill Gates. Amen.

- Using your example, Microsoft has no responsibility to alternative systems, and indeed it doesnt take any. Other systems have to work around Microsoft if compatibility is required (just as the alternative roots work around ICANN).

BZZT! No, Microsoft occasionally has to work with/around UNIX products. And occasionally, Microsoft is forced to use the same protocols as everyone else (e.g. the universal Internet protocols).

- Does this make the other systems illegitimate? No. The difference? The Microsoft/alternative example isnt bound up with all the legal string. The pocket-lining attitude of corporate control remains constant however reading between the lines (yes that is my opinion).

More bullshit. You see, the difference between Microsoft's control over desktops and ICANN's control over domain names is a completely false analogy. You can run LINUX on your home machine if you really want to. You can run UNIX-based programs on it and communicate with everyone who can read your files. Granted, compatibility is a problem.

But let's pretend websites used a variety of alternate roots. Websites would be inaccessible for some and be different sites entirely for others. This would be the alternates' dream- they could negotiate their own rules, etc- and a websurfer's nightmare. All fucking hell would break loose. This is exactly why ICANN was created in the first place, to prevent the inevitable domain name chaos caused by too many cooks.

And let's say that ICANN HAD to pay attention to every alternate out there. NOW what the fuck do you do? What happens when someone else has a .biz on its alternate root? Does ICANN have to acknowledge the self-created TLDs of EVERY pissant alternate out there? Sounds like a scam to me. "Let's make our own TLD here.. call it .bullshit or something.. and then if ICANN wants to use .bullshit, it's going to have to pay us!" Furthermore, as Neutel pointed out, most of the .biz addresses are basically pirating the trademarks of existing corporations anyway; the vast majority aren't legitimate businesses at all.

Something tells me most of the people here simply want to replace ICANN with their own personal savior, new.net. How does NO strike you?

- Do you feel forced to run Microsoft products? Do you think you have a choice? Ask yourself why this is any different?

There is no choice. You WILL be assimiliated. SIEG! Gates! SIEG! Gates!

- You are just what the "we know whats good for you" organisations love.

I am? Cool! Hey, ICANN- I'm going to be graduating with an A.A.S. in Computer Software Engineering Technology in a few months. You've got my email, you know how to reach me.

- Notice I'm not engaging here if ICANN are right or wrong I'm simply pointing out your acceptance of certain things rather than developing an informed opinion.

You, sir, are an idiot. That's not an 'informed opinion' - merely a fact.

- Sorry if this wasnt as hot as you were hoping for. Yes your post was flamebait and yes I took it, if only for the chance to open your eyes a little wider.

Never fear- if I ever find my 'eyes opened a little wider' by morons like you, I have friends who will gladly close them for me again.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy